Friday, September 11, 2009

DDFJ_09-11-2009

Doud Dairy Farm Journal
Friday, September 11, 2009

So much for daily updates. I just have been so dam busy lately, I haven't been able to get to the blog much this week.picture of Luke the dog waiting to work the animals
I have been doing some work in Waterloo this week, for the Gap Outlet in the Waterloo Outlets the past two days, and with all the other stuff that is causing problems, it has been kind of hectic around here. We have rarely got to the animals until late, and that is pissing me off. I need to be in to many places at once.

I contacted Eddy about the property, and he seemed open to the land contract, so we are moving forward with that. I will try to get a hold of Tim this weekend and see if he can cad the plans so I can get them plotted, and then I will only need Eddy's approval before I get the stamp on them I need for the building permit. The buildings will serve as equity for me in the spring. I need my brother David to co-sign a small loan with me, so I can build the buildings, and buy a truck. This will solve some of our problems, although I will still need a trailer to transport animals with, but that should come from my work pay. I think this work will pan out to be fairly decent, if they can give me enough work that is. It works out because I can do the chores in the morning, then go to work, and then do the chores in the evening when I am done with work. I have to DBA EcoContracting separately from the farm, something I was not going to do, but for insurance purposes it has to be done this way. The insurance is killing me, but it should be worth it.

If everything works out good with this job they will give me enough work that I can hire a helper, to help me with the work, namely Brandon, at maybe $15.00 an hour. Because he is my step-son he will be exempt from comp I hope.

The animals are fine, if a little out of sorts because of the timing thing, but it is starting to get quite chilly at night, so I need to build some type of temporary structure for them, which will include roost for the chickens, and nesting boxes, as we just bought some laying hens. Yes we bought some more chickens. We bought eight hens, and one rooster. They are production reds, so they are just cross breeds, but they are producing eggs, or at least that is what we were told. I found someone in Cato that claims to have 22 RIR laying hens, and it would be nice if we could get them too, but they want to much for them, and I am out of money for the week. I need to raise some cash fast as I need to cover some cost, like the storage space, basic cost for the week, and potentially some more animals. I found a person that has Muscovy Ducks, only three, but it would be nice to get them. They only want four dollars a piece, so I should be able to find the cash for them somewhere. The main cost this week that I need to raise money for is the storage, which is close to two months behind. That and I really want to buy the diesel Jetta that the guy has, because it has a veggie system on it. We now have lots of chickens, but we could use a lot more to get us through the winter, as they will all buy stop laying in a few weeks as the light starts to fade to winter. We will need to get them to their new home soon, but we have to wait until all the details are hashed out.

I need to sell some stuff, to raise some money, but if I could find a good partner, who was willing to put up some cash we could get much more done before winter. If I had my way, I would purchase the land and build the barn and creamery before winter, so I could get in the cows, and begin processing dairy products before spring, but that may not happen. I will do some checking around the web, but it is unlikely, considering the economy.

Mary has help emencely lately, considering how difficult it has been for her as well. I hope to help her out soon in the future, at least with some minor cost issues, like the phone bill, and some other cost. She can drive her can now for a while, and we will take care of the other issues later.

I will buy a truck, most likely the one from Brian, if I can't find some thing else better on craigslist that will suit my needs. Ideally it would be a four wheel drive diesel full size truck with an extended cab and a full length bed. This would of course be ideal, and if that is not possible, well then it just has to be big enough to tow a two horse trailer for animal transport, and at least ½ ton so I can haul farm and other materials. I wouldn't mind a plow either, as I could use that to make some extra cash this winter, but that is not important. I will let Brandon drive it when he needs it, or he can drive the Jetta, but only I or Arleta can drive the Kia. Speaking of the Kia, I need to fix that as well to get through the winter. I need to do the tune up (plugs and wires+) at about $120.00 for the parts. I need to fix the rear suspension (springs, coil over shocks and helper springs), at about $250.00, to provide stability for the winter, and towing ability. I also need to fix the brakes and passenger side wheel bearings at about $100.00 to give the Kia the stopping power and stability it needs to get through winter. I think it can make it on the U-joints and clutch it has as long as we don't beat it to badly this winter. I will fix the rest this spring. So the Kia will cost me about $470.00 to put right, not bad considering we only paid $600.00 for it in the first place. I may need to do some welding on the frame in the spring to, just support joints, nothing critical, and by spring I will have my own welder anyways.

I need to purchase three Devon cows, and a Devon bull for the winter at the very least. As registered cattle will cost me about $2400.00 each, this will be a major expense for the winter. I would also like to buy some pigs, but they may have to wait. The trouble is that with winter approaching so quickly, I will have to buy in feed and hay for the winter, with very little winter forage for the animals on the new land, at least until we buy in the spring. We will however need fencing, as the animals will be out every day that they can be, so we will need to build fences, and that will cost even more. Next spring we can get money from the FSA to build new buildings, buy more cows, buy hogs, and other such animals. We also should be able to roll our loan over, and get money from Pioneer Farm Credit, to purchase the land, to build buildings, and afford some basic machinery. We will also try to purchase the additional acreage that Eddy has over there (an additional 44 acres), giving us a total of 88 acres. I will also try to rent some land from the people across the road for pasture of the heifers, and beef cattle (steers). We will apply for fencing grants from the USDA in spring as well. We will also apply for grants from the EPA and DEC to build a bio-gas digester in the spring. When I build the cabin, I will build it to accept hot water radiant heat in the floor, although, we won't use that feature until we are producing our own hot water from the digester. We will utilize both solar and wind power as well, and any potential hydro power as well to produce energy once we have purchased the property. I will most likely make some deal with my neighbor to sell him energy from our power plant in exchange for land use, and other such in kind goods. We will get through the winter and then begin the planting and other work in the spring to make our living from the farm and what work I can get off the farm building or repairing stuff for people and other service providers.

Brandon still is questionable, but if he decides to stay with us through the winter, he can have the extra bedroom on the ground floor, as I am certain that Justin will want to stay in Mexico this year. He will be fine in the loft for the winter, and anyone else can have the other loft for whatever time they stay with us. Mary may want the room, but since she will be in and out all winter, she can use the loft when she needs it, but if Brandon stays, he will get the bedroom, as he may have an additional person with him. Once we have fixed the Kia, then maybe I will let Brandon drive it, but not until we have fixed the clutch and U-joints, because he is hard on clutches and drive shafts, as I once was too. I will want him to continue to work though, at least until I can hire him, or he can find another source of income that is legal. If he can make enough doing other things, well then I can't see any reason why he should have to drive to Syracuse everyday just to make less money. We will have to continue to drive to the market every week, selling what we can, to make what we can, besides what I can make with my work for theses service providers. As soon as we can afford it we will have to start processing soap, as this will be a bread and butter product that we can sell at the market, and hopefully through a few boutiques in the area. Mary will also help to sell the products, and I will ask her to do some advertising so we can sell it on the web. We will not go low end this time, charge a decent price, and get a solid following, of people who can afford the product, that way we can afford to grow.

Well I digress, and this is supposed to be about the farm. Although everything revolves around the farm, I have strayed far from the core aspects the readers are interested in. This often happens when I begin to write, but I catch myself sometimes better than today. I don't even remember what I have told you about the farm, but I will provide an update later that will be more farm centric.

So that is all for today, peace.

No comments: