Monday, September 07, 2009

Doud Dairy Farm Journal


Doud Dairy Farm Journal
Sunday, September 06, 2009

I missed a couple of days, with all that has been going on. I am not sure where I left off, but I think I didn't write entries for the fifth and the fourth, and the third is on another computer, waiting to be loaded to Frontier Spirit blog. So anyway, today we got a late start because I had a couple of things to do at the house, and we had to pick up Justin, my step-son and Arleta's youngest son. We went out to look at the property, and it is basically just woods and a couple of trails running through it. I am ready to provide Eddy with an offer. We will offer him 450.00 a month for 6 months, with an option to purchase at the end of the lease terms. We will then discuss the building thing, as we will offer to build a small barn and a cabin on the property, as well as dig a well. We will use this as equity if we buy the property in the spring, but if we do end the contract in spring we will leave the buildings, thereby providing him with more value for his property. I talked a minute with the next door neighbor, and he says they have 88 acres, so there may be potential for purchasing more property in the future. This would be good to discuss with Eddy as well. In lieu of a security deposit we will dig the well and put in a septic system, as well as build the buildings, which will benefit him if we leave the property. If we do decide to purchase the property in the spring, we will offer him $1,000.00 an acre or $44,000.00 plus what we have paid him for the rent.

Well now we have to see if he accepts the deal we present. Or if he comes back with a counter offer, we will have to consider that as well. I want to talk with him about the additional acres, to see if we can include that in the spring purchase option.

As far as the animals are concerned well, last week I couldn't get a chicken at all and this week we are in the process of buying chickens from everywhere. We bought 6 last night (RIR) from Williamstown, and we will be buying another 7 or 8 today from Homer. Now we will have 16 RIR chickens, and if we can get the 11 Orpingtons we will have the 20+ chickens we need to winter over with.

All the other animals (Goats, Ducks) are doing well, and getting fat on the land.

I need a truck, as there is just to much that I could do with a truck that would be helpful that I can not do with the Kia. Although the Kia is cute and it really is a nice vehicle, and all that, it will not accommodate the needs that a truck will. That or I need to get the Kia fixed, and a tow hitch attached so we can pull a trailer. I like the trailer idea, because a trailer is more versatile than just a truck, but it may be easier to get a truck than fix the Kia at this point.

That's all for now, more tomorrow when I get everything in its place.

Peace.

No comments: